My father often complained that I just wouldn’t shut up. I suppose I must have talked before I could walk- an assumption based on the fact that I weighed eleven pounds and had short little legs, so they probably couldn’t support me until they had developed some major muscles. But the mouth…I can see that as a genetic fait de accompli…who on the Simmons side of the family didn’t see that coming? Seriously. I admit that I was a handful and often talked too much at the wrong time for the wrong reason about the wrong thing. However, my father quickly learned that my silence could be a bad thing. He was known to comment that if I was quiet I was either “sick”, “pouting”, or “up to something”.
Someone commented recently that I have been relatively “quiet” with regard to my blog and FB and even some emails. I assure you that although I have been both “sick” and “up to something”…well actually several somethings...I have also been remarkably happy for an old woman who seems to be wearing out and I have not been pouting about much of anything. My comparative silence is mostly the result of brain overload and time shortage. There are a dozen ideas, topics, opinions, questions, and plans floating around up there and some of them will make it to the page eventually. In the meantime, here is a hint of what is competing for my daily attention:
- THE BOOK- Yes, I’ve completed 400+ pages. I spent four hours yesterday inserting maps, photos, charts, lists, etc. Whew, and WHEW! Love, love, love this project and very happy with how it has turned out. HOWEVER, I am paranoid about errors, page breaks, and clarity. So I will be editing and reviewing for at least a few more days before I release my grip on it.
- The environment... What happened to winter? What IS “shade grown coffee”? What in the world is “transitional organic”? Is my body going to get even with me for using herbicides in the past? Can I create a beautiful garden that also improves my local environment?
- WHY am I still fat despite a very good diet and lots of exercise? I eat TOO MUCH! Simple solution…STOP doing that. Working on it…
- Totally squeamish about this leg work. Faced down a lot of major surgeries and procedures in the past. These coming up are causing me a bit of anxiety. Working on my “happy place” and faith in God’s plan. Getting there.
- What is WRONG with people??? I’ve had some moments lately when I’ve just thought “Be quiet Mary, because I told you so would just sound so arrogant right now.”
- Too much information. There are a dozen new things I want to learn and I’m reading every evening about something, but my ability to retain is not what it used to be. I have six articles in the works and three “projects”.
- Joy. The recent photos of proms and sports and Easter celebrations have been such a joy to see! One of the reasons why I love FB is because so many of our family members and friends are scattered all over the country.
- Time. There is never quite enough and in five minutes I’m supposed to be out the door…so later…I promise to write soon.