As I watch the daily political circus the wisdom of Socrates comes to mind. He defined an educated man as one who possessed not just knowledge, but a set of behaviors. He believed that educated men are…
- Those who control unpleasant situations, instead of being controlled by them.
- Those who treat all events with bravery and good old common sense.
- Those who are honest in all their dealings.
- Those who face unpleasant situations and are calm even when mistreated by people who dislike them.
- Those who can control their pleasures.
- Those who were not defeated by their misfortunes and failures.
- And those who do not become arrogant and corrupt by their success and glory.
He also advocated considering if something was “true, good, and useful” before sharing it with others.
If only the candidates could adhere to half of his principles.