I thought you might like to see my classroom board and circle area where we hold most of our discussions. For morning circle the children sit on the rug in front of my chair. For math and reading we meet briefly at the board for a lesson or book or both, and then the children go to their seats. I try to keep the area simple and predictable. Here is an explanation of what it includes:
1. The calendar. “Today is…” is written on the board each day and the calendar helper reads it while pointing to the calendar with my magic wand. The helper chart is next to the bookshelf and has leader, caboose, math helper, art helper, weather watcher, counter, story helper, and calendar helper listed each day.
2. Letter of the week. The letter, four words, the handwritten version, and the key word for the week are on the board. Below the helper chart on the wall is our alphabet chart which also has the letter and some words in the top pockets. Students use the alphabet chart during centers.
3. Book. You can see our copy of “The Snowy Day” sitting on the edge of the board. Next to it is a little boy we made from construction paper. We put these on our bulletin board in the hall.
4. Word list. Our word list for the week is on a clip next to the calendar and I copy it on the board when we are discussing or using it.
5. Math dots. Those colored magnets are used for counting, patterns, addition, etc.
6. Months, days of the week.
7. Mirror. At the bottom corner is a mirror. Children use it during centers. Each child has an individual mirror for circle time. I keep them in a basket and we use them to watch our mouths during “letter sounds”.
8. Easels. The small easel holds the big books for the week, a poetry chart, and a number chart. My alphabet chart on the floor next to my chair also has math, shape, and word pages. A larger easel, out of the picture, has sight words in a pocket chart on one side, and chart paper on the other side. The chart paper for this month has Holiday Words.
9. Supplies. Behind my chair are the books for the week, atlases, flash cards, etc. A CD player and basket of CDs is behind the easel. Two tape players and a basket of tapes are beside the blue sofa. The students use them during centers.
10. Flags. Our flags are above the board.