Nine weeks is an eternity in kindergarten, so I send home a weekly progress report to keep my parents informed of their child’s progress in classroom behavior, work habits, and academic skills between report cards. I created the form several years ago using a simple “table” format and I’ve changed it a few times to reflect changes in schools and schedules. I’ve even made a couple of separate forms for individual students who are working on specific skills not needed by the other students. However, the basics have remained the same because my expectations for classroom behavior have stayed the same.
I thought you might like to see what is included on my report. The format isn’t important, it just has boxes after each listing, and I insert a letter label: O=outstanding, S=satisfactory, and N= needs more effort. At the beginning of the year I also use W=working on skill.
Weekly Progress Report:
- Listens respectfully to teacher during circle time, lessons, etc.
- Listens respectfully when classmates are speaking during circle time.
- Follows playground rules and plays cooperatively with others.
- Follows rules in halls and restroom.
- Behaves politely during meals and does not disturb others.
- Listens to teachers during rotation classes (music, art, library).
- Keeps hands to self and uses polite speech.
- Cooperates with others during table work and does not distract others from working.
- Cleans up after projects and center time.
- Follows directions and completes tasks without asking excessive questions.
- Stays on task and completes work within a reasonable time.
- Controls talking and excess noises (humming, whistling, growling, etc.).
- Works independently and does not copy the work of others.
- Does his/her best work. Uses good handwriting and colors carefully.
This area of the report is “blank” until I type in what I want for the week. I may include a few brief comments about phonics or math. I may include a particular skill we are working on that week. I may include a checklist like this one that went home before the Thanksgiving break:
I recognize the following letters-
I recognize the following numbers-
I can count to twenty. ___yes ___no
I know these sight words-
I know my word families- ___an, ___at,___op
I also have a couple of discipline forms I like. I’ll include those in a future post.