The Caddo Herald
February 15, 1924
20 Years Ago Today
The Herald at that time was boosting the asphalt fields northwest of town. Not much ever came of it as there were not sufficient quantities to interest capital. Asphalt is there yet.
The Japanese continued to win in the war with Russia.
The big Baltimore fire had just occurred and the loss was estimated at a hundred million dollars.
Caney, north of us, was enjoying a period of prosperity.
Mark Hanna, famous Ohio politician, died in Washington.
President Roosevelt imported a man from North Carolina to make him U. S. Marshal of this district.
The young ladies of Caddo gave a Leap Year Ball at the opera house. Everything was very nice and the young men wished that every year was leap year.
W.W. Boone began the Dry Goods business, opening where the City Bakery is now located.
Bass had several carloads of good cotton seed that he was selling at 90c per bushel.
The Mutual Civic Club was to observe Arbor Day the 27th. The Civic Club later was evolved from this club.
Miss Ita Wallace announced that she would teach subscription school after the term closed.
Rev. R. E. Telford, Presbyterian pastor, was to preach at the Methodist Church Sunday.
Peter Bloom had sold an interest in his shop to his brother, Andrew, and the firm was known as Bloom Bros.
Mrs. Homer conducted a private school at her home.
Mrs. N. R. Walters was chosen president of the Woman’s parsonage and Home Mission Society; Mrs. A. B. McCoy, vice president; Mrs. J. C. Hogan, treasurer; Mrs. O. R. Nance, secretary; Mrs. V. R. Walker, corresponding secretary.