The Caddo Herald
September 8, 1948
Caddo Golden Jubilee is Set for November 26-28
To celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the incorporation of the town of Caddo, citizens of Caddo are making elaborate preparations (for) November 26-28. The town is preparing to entertain many who visit Caddo during this time with a varied program mostly of an historical and reminiscent nature.
Mrs. Henry F. Bass is chairman of the association, called “the Caddo Golden Jubilee Association” and with her are working the several committees from lodges, churches, schools, and civic clubs.
It was in 1893 that the Curtis Bill was passed by Congress. By its terms towns and cities might incorporate and citizens of non-Indian blood could acquire property upon which they had made improvements in the town. This bill also provided for the allotment of lands to each Indian citizen and to wind up the affairs of the Indians.
By incorporating, towns could become self-governing, being controlled by the Arkansas code of laws in force at the time.
A mayor and town council was chosen, laws were enacted to regulate such doings as fighting, the running at large of cattle, sheep and hogs, gambling, and taxing property for schools and other public purposes.
Caddo was a pretty good town 27 years before incorporation because of its lands. The M, K and T railway stopped at Caddo in the year 1870 and did not complete building into Denison until two years later. During those years Caddo was the shipping point by wagons to Sherman, Bonham, Ft. Sill, Paris, and Gainesville.
Great wagon trains carried the goods from the north to Ft. Sill and western Indian tribes on the reservation. Much of this history is being prepared for preservation for future generations.
Plans for the Caddo Golden Jubilee are being perfected. Hon. Charles E. McPherren of Durant _____ (line is unreadable) the first mayor of Caddo having been chosen in November 1898. He has been invited to make two addresses during the celebration. In fact, McPherren is the only living member of that first town government and his presence is an event in itself.
By peculiar coincidence the present mayor, or town justice, G. A. Crossett, was an early arrival in Caddo a few months after incorporation and he read some law in the office of McPherren. Crossett doggedly has stayed with his first love; was then and is now editor of The Caddo Herald, the second oldest newspaper in Oklahoma.
Caddo Odd Fellows Lodge is Number One in Oklahoma.
Caddo Masonic Lodge was established in 1873 and will celebrate its 75th anniversary this year in the Jubilee.
Historical pageants and colorful parades are planned for this Jubilee; committees are working now on historical data. Many displays will be made of relics of ye olden times now in disuse, having been discarded for modern ideas.
Alumni of Caddo schools are working hard to locate all former students of the school which has graduated 740 pupils during its lifetime. Prior to 1898 town school was a private affair, but under incorporation a school building was erected and paid for by bonds issued at the time. Teachers were paid by local taxes. No such things as state or Federal aid.
Data of other activities of that era is being gathered, lest it be lost beyond recall.
Mr. Broadhead, superintendent of the schools, is heading teacher activity, while Jake Edwards is directing the alumni.