April 26, 1910
The foundation has been laid and the frame work is up for Caddo’s new gin. Mr. Hartzog has associated with him in this venture Mr. D. M. Wilson of Kemp, Texas, who is one of the most practical of cotton gin men in the great Southwest, having had over 32 years continuous experience in the business. Both the gentlemen in this venture are thorough business men and are doing their share of building up Caddo. The Herald would like to see may more such men as Hartzog and Wilson locate here- we need them.
The 1915 maps of Caddo show the D.M. Wilson gin, the Caddo Cotton Oil Co., Rowsey Gin Co. and Katy Mill & Elevator Co. all located near the Katy railroad.
November 25, 1910
“Caddo Ought to be Thankful”
The fair city of Caddo and trade territory has much for which we should return thanks to Him who is the giver of all good gifts.
Aside from unusual good health our people have been prosperous the past year, we have made good crops and many of us who were in debt have either gotten even with the world or have materially reduced said indebtedness, for this we should be thankful.
The town of Caddo owes much of its present prosperity to the very complete system of water works installed during the past year. The system cost the town $55,000 and it has been estimated that the town has been benefited that much this year, for of the 6,000 bales of cotton marketed here we could scarcely have counted upon more than 2,000 because without water the gins could not have handled more than that, we would not have had the new Wilson & Hartzog gin, nor would we have located here the Caddo Lime Co., the Katy Grain and Elevator Co., or the new and up-to-date electric light plant now being installed in Caddo, and it is doubtful if the M.K. & T. would have spent $10,000 here on erecting one of the handsomest depots on its line. Besides these things, in the last year two dry goods, one gents furnishing, one furniture, one general, and one hardware store have been established here, they are all doing well, and they all are doing their part to toward making a greater Caddo.
October 6, 1911
Wilson & Hartzog are building a new seed house to their gin. The old one was not large enough.
July 27, 1917
Boydstun Buys Shop
Last week a deal was consummated where A. E. Boydstun became the owner of the old John Schenk blacksmith shop near the Rowsey & Wilson gin. Mr. Boydstun will move into the new shop this week and will do business in the John Schenk stand . He will place an efficient workman in charge of the shop so that all kinds of work will be competently handled. He will be better prepared to give you the best service possible and invites you to come and give a trial.
April 9, 1920
R. W. Wilson is preparing to erect a gin on the old gin stand just east of the railroad.
D. M. Wilson is repairing his gin.
The Caddo Cotton Oil Co. has bought machinery for doubling their capacity. The work will start as soon as the machinery arrives.
The Caddo Mebane Cotton Seed Co. will double their capacity, putting gin four new stands. Thus Caddo’s ginning capacity will be increased by twelve stands for the 1920 crop, equivalent to ten bales per hour in regular season.
August 7, 1925
Abbott Gin Company
Roy Riddels and Hedley Abbott have bought the old Wilson Cotton Gin in Caddo and will operate under the name of Abbott Gin Co.
Workmen are now busy tearing down, rebuilding and renewing all the old gin so that within two weeks this gin will be ready to run; ready to give the farmers the kind of service they like.
This gin is in a handy location from every direction.
The people are familiar with Roy Riddels and Hedley Abbott, and know that they will give them every service.
When renewed, the gin will be as good as new. All old and worn parts will be replaced.