The Oklahoma Star
November 20, 1874
When Caddo was first made a depot, or stopping place, on the M.K. & T. R.R. it was predicted by nearly everyone that it would never amount anything and that its life would be of short duration. For a long while people were afraid to build here, thinking the depot would soon be moved to Blue, Durant’s Creek or somewhere else. The scarcity of wood and water it was said would prevent Caddo from ever becoming a permanent railway station. These apprehensions are at last dispelled and the little town is steadily growing and becoming more and more a commercial center. People have found that plenty of good water can be had with little trouble and expense and as for wood, there are few towns in the world of any importance where timber is much more convenient than here.
Taking health and everything into consideration, no more desirable location for a town could be found anywhere on the whole line of the road and it but remains for our citizens, and our business men particularly, to keep it, as it is now, the principal place for the territory.
Our merchants should endeavor to keep every thing the country requires and at such rates that there will be no inducements to go to Denison or elsewhere. And our citizens should not fence in or claim any more ground than they absolutely have a use for, so that all who wish to do so may find a desirable place to build. It is much better for a man who owns lots in a town to give half of them away to anyone who will improve them, than to let them lie vacant. Let each and every one of us exert ourselves to make Caddo a CITY and we will be sure to succeed.