The Caddo Herald
February 6, 1920
Last Sunday night the safe at the depot was robbed of about $170. Deputy Sheriff Robinson was called and he, with the city marshal, Mr. Weir, ran down several clues; and Sheriff Wright came in the afternoon and with the Katy detective found certain evidence which fastened the crime on several young boys in town.
We do not care as yet to give the names of the boys, for it is bad enough they have been suspicioned and it will be time enough when conviction occurs. In several parts of the county lately some robberies of stores have occurred and Sheriff Wright, at Kenefick, set traps and caught three young boys there.
Some parents are at fault or the boys would not be guilty. It will not do to let the boys have free rein over their movements. Boys must be controlled while young or there will be no control later- and parents can save themselves grief later on by curbing the boys while young.
Why “Grown-Ups” Often Go Wrong
You, and many others, have no doubt expressed astonishment at the wrong-doing of growing children in their teens; and wonder why it is so, considering what nice people their parents are.
It requires no long essay to explain why this is so, in at least 85 per cent of instances. The other 15 percent may be charged to “unforeseen circumstances or natural waywardness”. In the latter case the old saying “apples don’t roll far from the tree upon which they grew” may apply. So only the 85 per cent class will be discussed:
Most parents are overconfident in the strength of their children to overcome the influence of evil companionship.
When children get into their teens they begin a transition from juvenile innocence into the outer portals of adult life and are given more freedom of action. This is the danger period of life.
They should be carefully guided and watched and taught that the red-light walks of life, though alluring, are dangerous beacons to follow and should be shunned.