The Caddo Herald
February 1, 1918
Deals are being consummated this week whereby the old Presbyterian Church building was sold to Peter Bloom and the lot and Manse were sold to J. L. Sargent.
The congregation has purchased the lot just east of J. H. Gossart’s home on Buffalo Street and will very soon begin the erection of a new church building on it.
Rev. W. A. Zeigler, evangelist of the Durant Presbytery, was here a while yesterday and announce that Rev. C. D. Moses would preach in the Presbyterian Church Sunday morning.
There is a movement on foot to call a pastor here, and Rev. Moses in prospect. He comes to Oklahoma from Calhoun Falls, S. C. and expects to work in several charges near here. Everyone is cordially invited to be present Sunday morning.
The Herald is extremely glad that the Presbyterians are to build a new church in keeping with the prosperity of their membership and of the town. This is one place where Caddo is not as enterprising as we should be. Our churches compare illy with our schools, with our lodges, our homes and our business houses. They are not in keeping at all with the wealth of their membership and with the importance of the cause they represent. There is but one congregation that has a church building at all comparable to the houses and wealth of its members. Every congregation should make an effort to do better along this line.
Not only the membership of the Presbyterian Church should help in the building, but every man, woman, and child in town, regardless of affiliation should help and help liberally. The building of a new church will materially add to the value of every piece of property in town- the maintaining of a church will help. Also it will add materially to the moral standing of the people of the town.
Note: According to the 1908 tax rolls the old Presbyterian Church was located on Arkansas, just south of Buffalo Street, block 24, lot 15.