The Caddo Herald
September 19, 1913
Roy Hendricks Killed Tuesday
Tuesday afternoon just after school Roy Hendricks was shot and almost instantly killed at the home of Jack Droke by the accidental discharge of a .44 revolver.
Roy had stopped on his way home from school at the Droke home to wait until Jack’s boy, J. B. could get his sweater, intending to come on home- the boys had been in the house but a minute when a shot was heard. J. b. says that Roy picked up the pistol while he was in an upstairs room getting his sweater and fired the shot in his own body. Upon hearing the shot several neighbors rushed in- none of the family being at home- Walter Baxter getting there just as Roy drew his last breath. The bullet entered Roy’s breast just above the left nipple, come out just behind the bone of the right arm, traveling horizontally thorough the body, touching the upper part of the heart, death following almost instantly. No one but the Droke boy who is but 8 or 9 years old was in the house at the time and he was so excited that he does not know how the accident occurred.
Roy was the 9-year-old boy of Mr. and Mrs. W. W. Hendricks of the P. O. Confectionery; was a pupil of the public school and was in Miss Threlkeld’s room. He was a bright and dutiful child giving neither his parents nor his teacher any trouble, always learned his lessons and obeyed his teacher. He was not meddlesome, and usually came home promptly, and this stop was made only for a minute to wait for a playmate.
The accident, besides being an awful shock to Mr. and Mrs. Hendricks, completely paralyzed the community. Every heart was sad because of the loss, and expressions of sympathy and grief came from all sides. The mother and father were almost prostrated, while the entire community feels the shock. The accident was regrettable, but since it has happened we can only take the warning about leaving firearms in places where children are likely to secure them. Too much care cannot be used in storing fire arms- in fact they should not be kept in homes where there are children.
The funeral was held at the family residence Wednesday afternoon at 3:30, interment in Caddo Cemetery.
The Herald, with the whole town, deeply grieves with the parents in the loss of their boy. Our sympathy is extended to them and it is with sad hearts that we remember this tragedy. We know not how to assuage the grief, or how to comfort the bereft- we simply leave to the Higher Power that rules the destinies of men, and takes thought of even the hairs on our heads.