The Caddo Herald
February 13, 1903
The Mutual Civic Club
The Cemetery Association met with Mrs. W. H. Ainsworth on February 7. The first motion made and carried was to change the name of the association; our contributors alluded to us as the graveyard committee, cemetery beggars, and like names, until some of our members were getting pale and ghost like. With weird expressions we were afraid we might turn to walking monuments, so after many suggestions and contemplations, we decided on The Mutual Civic Club as the most appropriate name.
It was further voted that we hire two men one week out of each month (until our contributions increase) to keep the cemetery in as nice condition as possible; also that we receive members outside the M. L. and A. Club, us those desiring to join the Mutual Civic Club can do so by verbal or written application to the secretary. The club intends to set out shrubbery in the cemetery February 21st and any assistance from the public in the way of shrubbery or help will be greatly appreciated.
We begin the new year with new aspirations and ambitions, realizing as never before the great responsibility and necessity. We thank the public very much for their patronage and with their cooperation of the same, we pledge ourselves to prove worthy of the trust reposed. Feeling that the public is due an account of the assets and expenditures from the beginning of the club work up to February 1, we herewith render the following account:
First contract with Frank Pitchford for cleaning of cemetery in Sept. and Oct. $60.00
Second contract with Frank Pitchford for more thoro cleaning of cemetery, Nov. $90.00
Colored labor, 6 days, Dec., $16.25
Colored labor, 7 days, Jan., $15.00
Cash balance in Choctaw Nation Bank, $1.25
Mrs. Jack L. Harris, Secretary