The Caddo Herald
January 6, 1922
Presbyterians Pay Church Debt
Early in the spring of 1921 the Presbyterians had a chapel built on the north side of Buffalo Street, close to the business part of town; when completed there was $1,000 indebtedness on the building. By hard work the ladies of the church reduced the debt to about $400 on December 1st.
In May Rev. Beasley, a student form Richmond, Va. was called as pastor. Being an energetic young man, he helped the ladies all he could with their work, besides organizing the Boy Scouts Club, and labored with them constantly almost up to time of his departure. He did not neglect any ministerial duties as he visited the sick and afflicted, conducted funerals, and by his efforts the church membership was increased from thirty-two to ninety. And another thing not to be overlooked: he did not permit the church “war department” to bother him in the least.
Notwithstanding all his clerical labors he had one great object in view- not to go away to better qualify himself for his chosen life work until the church was out of debt. Perhaps he may have considered this act as the acid test of his fitness.
Friday evening Rev. Hotchkin of Durant came up to help Rev. Beasley conduct a meeting at which time an effort was to be made to close a gap of forty odd dollars and clear the church of debt. The effort was successful, the closing scene dramatic. Mrs. J. T. Petty handed the check for final payment to Mr. H. T. Chiles. In return receiving a receipt in full with notes of indebtedness and while Rev. Beasley held the paper she lit a match that set fire to the papers and burned them to ashes, then the congregation sang “Praise God From Whom All Blessing Flow”.
There were three additions to the church- two by letter, one by baptism.
Rev. Beasley left Sunday afternoon for New York City to attend White Theological Seminary and may be absent two or three months. In the meanwhile Rev. Hotchkin will conduct services the second and fourth Sunday of each month.