The Caddo Herald
July 17, 1925
To Gravel Street Between Schools
A citizens’ committee, composed of H. T. Chiles, W. L. Guthrie, and Claude Glasscock, this week is securing pledges for money to gravel McPherren Avenue which connects the two school buildings directly about a half-mile in length.
A deal has been made whereby the gravel is put on and properly bladed for $1.20 per yard. This includes all cost of hauling and gravel. Inspection and roadbed are extra.
When compared with the cost of the county road of 3.35 per yard, one sees the advantage of private contract. And we get just as good gravel.
The committee plans to make the gravel six or seven inches thick and 16 feet wide in the center of the street. With a good shoulder this ought to and will take care of the travel on this street the year round. It crosses Buffalo Street about half-way between the school buildings, so there will be connection to the business district.
A great many people other than property owners along the route are contributing to this fund, for there is some property that cannot pay and the cost of street intersections must be met in some way.
This improvement will lead to others. Several who live near this street will connect with it, so that car passage may be had any day of the year.
There is nothing like public improvement. It costs money, but the use makes them worth money.