The Caddo Herald
Thursday, July 16, 1942
Fire at Rex Theater Burns Machines and 14,000 Feet of Film
At 11 o’clock fire broke out in the projection room of the Rex Theater in Caddo Wednesday night, practically ruining the projection machines, and destroying 14,000 feet of the film.
More than 100 people were in the show at the time, but all got out without any injury.
Fast thinking and automatic action by Ed Green, operator, probably saved lives and the building. Green, as soon as the fire broke, closed switches in a hurry, the booth door, and put on the house lights. A vent in the (?) carried fumes up and through the roof.
The crowd was orderly and did not get excited.
Loss is partially covered by insurance.
Arvin Ellis said he thought he would be ready to resume showings by Saturday. A new machine arrived Thursday, so movie-goers will not long be without amusement.
The fire department was on hand quickly and did much to prevent flame spread.
The projection booth is made fireproof so that patrons are not likely to get hurt.
Green had a few slight burns on his face and hands.