The Caddo Herald
October 16, 1947
Killingsworth Burned by Gas Fire Friday Afternoon
T. B. Killingsworth, feed and grain merchant of Caddo, who was badly burned Friday afternoon by a gas explosion near his store, is reported to be progressing satisfactorily in the Madonna Hospital in Denison.
Mr. Killingsworth was burned then when he struck a match in a small outhouse behind his store. A leaky gas pipe had allowed an accumulation of gas to form in a pit in the building. The flame ignited the gas and the resulting explosion blew Killingsworth thru the door and set fire to grass outside. Although partially stunned, the injured man had presence of mind enough to stamp out the blaze, preventing its spread to adjoining buildings.
He was severely burned about the face, chest and arms.
Mr. Killingsworth was taken to the hospital Monday when his condition was believed to be serious. Mrs. Killingsworth came home Tuesday and reported that this progress is satisfactory.
Mrs. Ben Ray Karnes, sister-in-law of Killingsworth, is in charge of the store during his absence.