The Caddo Herald
August 22, 1930
Semple Home, An Old Landmark,
Last Friday afternoon about 3 o’clock, the home of C. C. Semple, just south of town, was burned. Only a few of the contents were saved. The loss is heavy though hard to estimate. Insurance was $2,000 on house and contents.
There was some burning trash south of the house and flying sparks lit on the roof. By the time the flames were discovered they had gained such headway as to preclude saving the house. It being out of town, the truck and firemen could only use hand extinguishers which were inadequate for so great a blaze.
Several out-buildings also were destroyed.
In kicking out a window, Joe Copeland, 17, cut his ankle very severely.
The Semple home was an old landmark, erected in 1870, just before the Katy railroad came to Caddo, by Rev. Ebenezer Hotchkin, a Presbyterian Missionary to the Choctaws. The first unit was of cedar logs and planks. Later an addition was made by C. A. Semple, who had bought the place from Hotchkin. The Semples have occupied the house since. In it Frank P., Chas. C, Wm. F., and Mrs. R. H. Carraway first saw the light of day. After the death some years ago of Mr. and Mrs. C. A. Semple, the home became the property of Chas. C. Semple and with his family he has occupied it since.