The Caddo Herald
June 12, 1925
Maytubby Home Burns Tuesday
At about two o’clock Tuesday afternoon the home of J. D. Maytubby, cashier of the Caddo National Bank, was discovered by passersby to be on fire.
The alarm was sounded quickly and with the aid of the telephones, a crowd was soon on hand, with fire fighting apparatus. By hard work and two streams of water, the main part of the house and practically all the furniture was saved. The roof and upper rooms were wrecks and water damage down stairs was very great.
An estimate of the loss has not been computed, but it must be several thousand dollars, as this was a very nice home. Insurance to cover the loss was carried.
The work of the volunteer firemen is to be commended. The furniture was moved without much damage, and the two streams of water were applied faithfully and effectively.
The fired is thought to have caught from a crossed wire in the attic as the fire started there and not near a flue. And from a crossed wire the telephone bell had been ringing half hour prior to the discovery of the blaze.