The Caddo Herald
April 12, 1901
George McBath, our cook, while basking in the glow and radiance of the firelight and reveling in the Ethiopian smiles of his “best girl” at her home the other night, was suddenly interrupted by a crash and a roar: the chimney fell in on them. The crash burned George about the neck and shoulders, mashed the girl’s foot, and killed the dog. The girl is convalescent, George is better, and the dog is still dead. The world is “going against” our cook pretty hard of late. It will be remembered that he fell in an old well and spent the night there only two weeks ago. We hope that George will have brighter days. Brother Jake, alias J.R.K.