The Caddo Herald
December 31, 1926
Caddo Landmark is Destroyed Monday
Monday morning about one o’clock fire destroyed the Lawrence residence on Buffalo Street, just out of the business district. A light southeast wind was blowing which carried sparks northwest, and had the roofs not all been damp from snow and frost other houses would perhaps have caught fire. As it was, the damage was confined to this house.
The residence was occupied by Mrs. Walker and family who awakened in time to save their lives. Not much of their effects were saved.
This house was built about the year 1893 by Mrs. M. Manning, was the first house built in the west part of town. The Mannings had a farm on what is now the main residence section of Caddo, and later divided this into town lots.
It looked for a time as if a number of houses might be burned, as not many people were awakened, and it was some little time before the fire boys got there.
The residence belongs to the Lawrence estate.