December 14, 1917
Last Trades Day
Wednesday was the last Trades Day of the year for Caddo, and there was an immense crowd in town all day. Mr. T. M. Pherigo, of Blue, a former Caddo citizen, was the lucky man receiving the new Fort Smith wagon.
However, those who came were not disappointed for Caddo is a fine place to trade in and the many wants of the people were easily found here.
Caddo is glad to have had the people as her guests, and while this closes the present series of entertainments, perhaps others may be provided for next year---it depends upon the action taken by the Bigger Caddo Club.
The Herald wishes to congratulate the town upon having such a Club. In a few days we hope to publish a resume of the year’s work, giving the amount of money collected and the amount expended and for what purpose. We know that several hundred dollars have been expended upon the roads and that the Club gave $150 to the Red Cross. This with the expenses of the Trades Day formed the larger part of the expenditures. Trade Days have been crowd bringers all the year and we think they will be continued next year.
May 4, 1917
Stores Close at 6:30
The merchants of Caddo have begun closing their stores at 6:30 each evening, and will continue the practice until September 1st. This is done so that they, their clerks, and people generally may have time to devote to outside matters, recreation, gardens, etc. If people will bear the fact of early closing in mind when they make purchases there will be no inconvenience to endure.
Following is a list of those who will close at 6:30:
Walters & Williams
Siegel & Damie
Boone & Styron
Smith, Moore, Williams Co.
H. G. Huffman
The Bass Co.
R. L. Pace
M. F. Haralson