Caddo Herald, August 5, 1921
Fire Threatens the Whole Town Tuesday
Tuesday morning at 6 o’clock the building next to the post office, belonging to Ray T. McGee and occupied by him as a cleaning pressing parlor, caught fire and was soon consumed.
This building is on the south side of Buffalo street, the only building of frame construction in that block and for a time the whole block was endangered, but quick and efficient work by the fire department confined the flames to the structure.
So great was the apprehension that goods were removed form nearby building and some damage was sustained by water and removal. At the height of the danger when it was thought the business part might go, the Durant fire department was appealed to and they immediately responded, but were intercepted at Armstrong and turned back as their services were not necessary. The fact that they responded so quickly and generously was very much appreciated by Caddo citizens.
Mail and furniture was removed from the post office, so that some delay was experienced in getting the morning mail distributed to citizens.
Mr. McGee was cleaning some trousers, he told us, when suddenly something exploded and instantly his whole room was ablaze. He only had time to grab some clothing close at hand and save them. This building was frame with galvanized iron covering and was built in 1898, and has been owned by various parties during its lifetime.
We can thank our stars that we had the good fire department as we have and that it is as well equipped. One thing yet is needed, and that is ladders. With some good ladders much damage to adjoining property might be avoided.