Several interesting tidbits of information here! Anyone know which downtown building was used as a gym? Perhaps the old skating rink?
The Caddo Herald
October 28. 1937
Caddo Schools Have Made Excellent Advancement
Through the splendid cooperation of the Caddo school board composed of H. W. Sargent as chairman, Dr. Roy L. Cochran, clerk, and Fred Washington, member, and a good faculty and principals the Caddo schools under the superintendency of Joe McKinnis have made an enviable record.
The faculty has been increased from 12 to 16 in the past 3 years. An activity director and a vocational agriculture teacher are new additions for this year. Teachers for music, art, and for commercial work were added last year.
Have College Degrees
All teachers with one exception have college degrees, that one lacking only one term of work to complete hers. Several have begun work on Master’s degrees, studying in the summer sessions. The superintendent already has his Master’s degree conferred.
Joe McKinnis, the superintendent, is a graduate of S. T. C. and has received his Master’s degree from A. & M. Outside of being the superintendent, he has found time to serve as president of Bryan County Teachers’ Associations and is now the secretary-treasurer of the south eastern division of the O. E. A.
E. O. Henninger, high school principal for 7 years, is also a S. T. C. graduate. He has served as president and also secretary of the Bryan County Athletic association.
Miss Zuleika Boland, English teacher and librarian, sponsors the Cat’s Paw, bi-weekly publication, which is also a member of the Sate Interscholastic Press Association.
Miss Lucretia Haggard teaches home economics. She sponsors the 4-H club work which has made good progress under her guidance. A graduate of S. T. C., Miss Haggard, along with Miss Boland and Mr. Henninger are doing their Master’s work at Oklahoma University.
Comes from Ouchita
Horace Power, a graduate of Ouchita College, has done two summer’s work at S. T. C. He is head of the science department and the student council.
Vocational agriculture has again been placed on the schedule with Irby Q. Rankin, a Smith-Hughes man, in charge. Mr. Rankin, who began work in July, is a graduate of A. &. M.
George Holloway, coach and history teacher, comes to Caddo from Stringtown. George is a former star at S. T. C. and he has made rapid progress with his charges so far this season.
Miss Evelyn Taylor, graduate of S. T. C. is head of the music and commercial departments. Under her supervision the local musical organizations have evidenced rapid progress and have made several excellent appearances.
W. R. Womack, head of the newly organized recreational program was a student at the John Brown college at Siloam Springs, Ark. and graduated at S. T. C. He is the teacher of social science in junior high.
Another new teacher in the system is Adam W. Garrett, art instructor and teacher of the sixth grade. Mr. Garrett studied art four years after he finished at Southeastern.
J. Lee Watson, principal of grammar school and teacher of the fifth grade, also received his Bachelor’s degree at S. T. C. Mr. Watson came to Caddo from Midway school in January, 1935.
Teachers are Qualified
Another graduate of S. T. C. is Miss Cecil Jones, teacher of the fourth grade and music supervisor in the grades. Miss Jones’ musical organizations carried away the county track meet at Yuba last spring.
Miss Frances Crumpton is a teacher of a division of the 4th grade. This is her first teaching, having received her degree from S. T. C. last spring. Before entering S. T. C. she attended St. Xavier’s Academy, Denison, Texas.
Miss Velda Kathryn Kiersey, likewise, is teaching for the first time after having finished S. T. C. last spring. She is teacher of the third grade.
Miss Alma Brown, teacher of the second grade, came to the Caddo schools three years ago. She will receive her B. A. degree next summer.
The first graders are taught by Mrs. Mary Wilson, another graduate of S. T. C. She has been a teacher in the Caddo Schools for a number of years.
Other employees of the school are: Miss Margaret Boland, as treasurer; J. C. Carlton, W. H. Moran, A. J. Wheatley, and D. W. Smith, bus drivers; Vurney Dufur, janitor of the grammar school and E. E. Pitchlynn, who has served as janitor of the high school for 16 years.
Some of the most recent accomplishments include a centralized sound system installed throughout the high school so the superintendent can be constantly in contact with teachers and pupils.
Three Steel Buses
Three all-steel buses and one locally built bus transport 268 pupils to and from the schools as compared with 17 pupils four years ago. This number is composed of students over sixty square miles outside the local district. High school students come from 11 separate school districts.
A commercial department was added in 1936 with 15 new typewriters as the beginning.
A new baby grand piano was placed in the auditorium this year for the music department and a new electric sewing machine for the home economics department.
Through the means of the Senior class of 1937 the home economics department made a set of new curtains for the auditorium stage.
The high school paper, which is a member of the O. I. P. A. is the only printed paper put out by a high school in Bryan County. It is entirely written and edited by students with Miss Boland as sponsor and is financed by the advertising it carries.
The library which contains 533 books, has new books added each year. The entire library is numbered and cataloged in the Dewey Decimal system.
With the aid of the Seniors of 1936 and the WPA, a new concrete tennis court was placed on the high school grounds.
Through funds procured by the Athletic association, a building downtown, used as a gymnasium, has been added to the school property.
For continued co-operation and spirit after graduation, an Alumni association has been functioning for the past three years.
In the high school a W. P. A. school is carried on under the supervision of Miss Louise Clower, Mrs. W. W. Baxter, and A. W. Sims. Here students are instructed in woodcraft and handicraft.
(Note: Photo is not 1937.)